Salt and freshly ground black pepper
One particular three- to 5-pound chuck roast
2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
two whole onions, peeled and halved
6 to eight entire carrots, unpeeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup red wine, optional
3 cups beef broth
two or three sprigs fresh rosemary
two or three sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Generously salt and pepper the chuck roast.
- Heat the olive oil in huge pot or Dutch oven above medium-substantial heat. Include the halved onions to the pot, browning them on each sides. Get rid of the onions to a plate.
- Throw the carrots into the same quite scorching pot and toss them about a bit right up until somewhat browned, about a minute or so. Reserve the carrots with the onions.
- If needed, include a bit far more olive oil to the really scorching pot. Spot the meat in the pot and sear it for about a minute on all sides until it is great and brown all in excess of. Eliminate the roast to a plate.
- With the burner nevertheless on substantial, use either red wine or beef broth (about 1 cup) to deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom with a whisk. Area the roast back into the pot and add adequate beef stock to cover the meat halfway.
- Add in the onions and the carrots, along with the fresh herbs.
- Put the lid on, then roast for three hrs for a three-pound roast. For a four to 5-pound roast, plan on four hours. The roast is prepared when it’s fall-apart tender.
2011 Ree Drummond, All Rights Reserved
My Private Notes
Looking for Some thing Else?
What is Cooking
Let’s Get Cooking!