This straightforward chicken marinade infuses chicken of any minimize with the classic Greek flavors of lemon, garlic and oregano plus Greek yogurt for a far more tender bite.
Hey, ho, whaddya know. You prepared for the best? Since I’m offering you the greatest!
It might be a daring statement to make, but as opposed to fake politicians, sorcerers, and that guy in Nigeria who says he’ll double your income if you’ll just wire it to him, I’m standing behind my declare that this super simple, incredibly delicious Greek Chicken marinade really nicely could be:
the ying to your yang.
the butter to your nutter.
the pop to your lock.
Which would make this tiny diddy of a recipe the greatest lemony, ideal garlicky, greatest Greek-y oregano-ish chicken marinade you just may possibly ever make.
How to Make the Greek Chicken Marinade
This greek marinade is my favored go-to recipe for something and almost everything chicken and it does double duty as a dressing for salads as well.
Marinade the chicken in just half of this marinade and reserve the other half for basting the skewers as they cook, if you so wish.
The chicken is adequately flavored in just 15 minutes, or let it soak in all that Greek flavor for up to three hours in a bowl or a re-sealable gallon storage bag. I typically don’t go longer than the three hour mark to avoid the chicken getting to be mealy.
Here’s what’s in this Greek marinade:
- Greek yogurt: This is a new addition to my typical Greek marinade. I additional the yogurt following producing my Simple Chicken Gyros the place the yogurt tenderizes the chicken for a extremely nice, juicy bite.
- Lemon juice + zest: The acid from the lemon also assists break down the challenging fibers of the chicken as it adds a flavorful zip to each and every bite. Incorporating the zest of a single lemon to the marinade amps the flavor up even that considerably more.
- Garlic: Since hello, garlic.
- Olive oil: Olive oil adds a bit of excess fat and assists create a barrier whilst the chicken is on the grill. Even so, you’ll nonetheless want put together your grill with further oil and rotate your skewers so the chicken doesn’t become also charred or burn.
- Oregano: Due to the fact dried herbs are stronger in taste than fresh, I’ve located that dried oregano functions ideal for this marinade, and a healthier dose of it is undoubtedly necessary.
The Rules: How to Cook Chicken Breasts In Marinade
Flavoring and tenderizing chicken in a marinade is a no-brainer, but there are a handful of tricks to performing it correct.
1. In no way, ever, ever reuse marinade utilized on raw poultry or meat unless of course you boil it 1st. It may possibly sound like a very good thought to baste your chicken or meat with the exact same marinade, but there’s a trick to trying to keep it wholesome if you do. Boil any employed marinade initial to destroy any hazardous bacteria. Or set aside a portion of the marinade to use later just before putting raw meat and poultry into it.
2. Use acid in your marinade. No matter whether it’s vinegar, wine, or a citrus juice like lemon or lime juice, acid assists break down the connective tissue in meats, adding taste and generating a much more tender bite.
three. Decide on a complimentary oil for far more taste in your marinade. Depending on the taste profile of your marinade, decide on an oil that compliments it and boosts the taste even more, like:
- Olive oil for Greek, Italian, or Mediterranean-style dishes
- Sesame oil for Asian-style dishes
- Canola or vegetable oil for Mexican or American-fashion dishes to keep issues neutral
4. You want it tender? Add dairy. The true secret to tenderizing is any cut of meat or chicken is including yogurt or buttermilk to the mix. It’s been completed for centuries in Indian cooking with tenderizing yogurt and buttermilk in Southern fried chicken. These two dairy ingredients have a more mild acid level than some other raw enzyme acids from pineapple or papaya, producing it best for chicken so it doesn’t get mushy.
five. Marinate your chicken for as minor as 15 minutes, three hours, or overnight. If you go also prolonged, your chicken or meat will flip to mush.
six. Marinate, then cook it how you like it. Cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 160-165°F, and permit to rest for the juices to set. Here’s some standard cooking occasions to do so, but often defer to a meat thermometer to be positive:
- Bake skinless, boneless chicken breasts at 400°F for 18-22 minutes
- Grill over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Pan fry (dependent on thickness) above medium heat for 18-22 minutes.
A lot more Greek Recipes You’ll Love Too
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Bookmark this recipe and leave a comment below and consider a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.