Free of charge GROUND BEEF FOR Daily life when you order your 1st ButcherBox these days. Claim Now.
This cheesy broccoli casserole from scratch is filled with fresh broccoli and a homemade cream sauce. A buttery, cheesy breadcrumb topping adds a crispy finishing touch to this classic broccoli casserole.
Apart from the sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and roast turkey, one particular dish that often graces my family’s Thanksgiving table is broccoli casserole. Ever given that I very first produced this broccoli casserole recipe years in the past, it has been my family’s favorite vacation side dish. Thanksgiving dinner isn’t comprehensive without having it!
Before I created this from scratch broccoli casserole, the broccoli cheese casserole recipe that we had made forever incorporated cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, and a Ritz cracker topping. It was undeniably delicious, so for many years I ignored the reality that the casserole was made with not-so-healthful components that I usually steer clear of.
One day I received to pondering, it doesn’t have to be that way. There’s no purpose why my broccoli casserole has to be made with canned cream of mushroom soup or mayo. I set out to develop a broccoli casserole that tastes just as good as the original, but is made totally from scratch. You’ll adore this simple broccoli cheddar casserole with no mayonnaise!
This more healthy broccoli casserole is made with fresh broccoli and mushrooms. I advocate employing fresh broccoli if you can since the texture is a lot much better than frozen. If you don’t care for mushrooms you can depart them out.
This broccoli casserole has an effortless homemade creamy sauce, which, mixed with the sauteed mushrooms is so significantly much better than condensed soup from a can.
As an alternative of Ritz crackers this broccoli and cheese casserole has a crunchy, cheesy, homemade entire-wheat breadcrumb topping. You can substitute the breadcrumbs with crushed Ritz crackers if you want a fast shortcut.
Good good quality store-bought breadcrumbs can be employed, if you like. If you’re so inclined to go the totally homemade route, I’ve included effortless instructions for creating your own breadcrumbs beneath. It only takes a number of minutes.
This broccoli casserole from scratch takes a small far more time and hard work to make than the kind manufactured with packaged elements. For me, it’s well worth it to do a tiny more function in the kitchen to generate a dish that I can come to feel excellent about consuming and sharing with my household. And of course, the taste of totally from scratch foods is often best.
How to make broccoli casserole:
- Boil the broccoli. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Saute the mushrooms in some butter.
- Make the cream sauce: Make a roux with butter and flour. Whisk in milk and half and half and cook till thickened.
- Combine the broccoli, mushrooms, onion, an egg, cheddar cheese, cream sauce and some breadcrumbs.
- Place the broccoli mixture in a baking dish.
- Make the crispy topping with melted butter, breadcrumbs and shredded cheddar.
- Bake the casserole and enjoy!
To make this broccoli casserole ahead:
- My household usually assembles and bakes this casserole the day just before Thanksgiving, and then we reheat it appropriate before Thanksgiving dinner. Reheat instructions stick to the recipe below.
- You can also assemble the casserole a single day ahead, refrigerate, and bake it the up coming day. Add about 10 minutes to the bake time if the casserole is cold from the refrigerator.
Do you have a favorite dish that’s always on your holiday table? I’d love to hear what it is! Depart a comment to allow me know. And then go make this scrumptious broccoli casserole. It’s turn into a preferred for so a lot of readers, and it may well become your new favored as well!