|Nutritional Gu >(per serving)|
|Servings: 6 Servings|
|Quantity per serving|
|% Daily Worth*|
|Complete Excess fat 41g||52%|
|Saturated Unwanted fat 8g||38%|
|Complete Carbohydrate 78g||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how considerably a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet regime. 2,000 calories a day is utilised for standard nutrition suggestions.|
This wonderful shrimp gumbo is flavored with some spicy andouille sausage, tomatoes, and the “holy trinity” of Cajun and Creole cooking: onion, celery, and bell pepper.
Serve the gumbo with hot boiled rice and a garnish of green onions or parsley and enjoy!
- one pound andouille sausage (or yet another smoked sausage, sliced)
- six cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 one/two-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/two cup vegetable oil (plus 4 to 5 teaspoons divided)
- one/2 cup all-goal flour
- 1 huge onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- one yellow bell pepper (or green bell pepper, chopped)
- 1 one/2 cups okra slices (fresh or frozen thawed)
- one teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- one to 1 one/2 lbs medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- two cups rice (sizzling boiled)
- Optional: parsley or green onion tops (chopped)
Methods to Make It
Gather the components.
In a skillet more than medium heat, brown the sliced sausage in 2 to 3 teaspoons of vegetable oil get rid of the sausage to a plate and set aside.
In a massive stockpot or Dutch oven, mix the chicken broth and tomatoes. Location the pot more than medium heat to deliver to a simmer.
Meanwhile, in a massive skillet above medium-high heat, mix the 1/2 cup of oil and the flour. Cook, whisking continuously till the roux is medium to deep brown. Will not let the mixture burn, or you will have to commence over with fresh oil and flour.
To the skillet with the roux, add the chopped onion, celery, and bell pepper cook, stirring consistently with a spoon right up until veggies are softened. Stir the vegetable and roux mixture into the simmering tomato and broth mixture.
Put the skillet back on the heat and add 2 more teaspoons of oil minimize to medium heat. Add the okra and cook, stirring, till lightly browned and not stringy or sticky.
Transfer the cooked okra to the simmering pot along with the Creole or Cajun seasoning, the bay leaf, and cooked sausage. Cover and cook more than medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for one hour.
Include the ready shrimp and cook for about 10 minutes longer, till the shrimp is cooked through.
Taste and include salt and pepper, as necessary.
Serve the gumbo over a mound of hot boiled prolonged-grain white rice. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or green onions.
- To give this savory gumbo much more of the shrimp taste, attempt putting a few of the shrimp in the gumbo early along with the sausage.
- If you’re concerned about excess fat content material, put together the gumbo a tiny in advance, refrigerate, and then skim excess body fat off the top of the cooled soup.
You May well Also Like
It is frequent to discover gumbos manufactured with a broad range of substances and varying combinations. Two principal types are seafood and non-seafood gumbos. Other sorts of gumbo are with or without having okra. Yet another lengthy-debated situation is regardless of whether a proper gumbo includes tomatoes. The reply is up to individual preference, but in most recipes, if okra is incorporated, so are tomatoes. Recipes that omit okra usually omit tomatoes. Cook your gumbo how you like it. Or try out a couple of varieties and choose which you like greatest.